Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Communion Sunday -- June 6th

Yesterday, Sunday the 6th, we were with the people at La Roca Methodist Church in Monterrey.  This is the congregation with whom we worshiped when we first arrived in Monterrey almost two years ago.  The pastor, Mari Gonzalez, was off to her annual conference, so she asked me (Jon) to fill in for her.  Since it was Communion Sunday for this congregation, I decided to preach on "communion"...that pesky little passage in I Cor.11 that talks about taking the Lord's Supper "in an unworthy manner."  There is a lot confusion on this passage...on both sides of the border!

We had a lively service...almost an hour of music, testimonies and Scripture readings.  Then came time for the sermon.  After reading the passage, I talked about people who have been considered worthy or unworthy in various settings.  One example was how the Methodist movement was birthed in part due to people being deemed unworthy (dirty, uneducated, lower-class) to enter the clean church of the privileged and well-educated.  How did Wesley respond?  He took the Gospel to the people...in the streets, in fields...wherever people were. 

As we moved towards as understanding of who is worthy or not worthy...or who comes to the Table in a worthy or unworthy manner, I told the story of the Greek philosopher, Socrates, and his encounter at the Oracle at Delphi.  Upon asking the Oracle who the wisest man is the world is, Socrates was amazed to hear the Oracle respond, "Why, you are the wisest of all."  Socrates returned with, "But I know nothing...,"  and the Oracle responded, "Ah, but you are the only one who is aware that you know nothing!"  So, the wisest person is the one who is aware he really knows nothing.

And, you may have already made the leap for our situation in Scripture.  To be sure, the church at Corinth had some messed up practices when it came to celebrating the Lord's Supper.  But, how do we apply this passage in the here and now of today?  How do we understand what it means to come to the Lord's Table in an unworthy manner?  After some 17 years of  ministry, and after a LOT of discussions and personal research and reflection, I think I might have hit upon an answer.  We come to the table in an unworthy manner when we approach the table thinking we're worthy!  If we think we're worthy, if think we are "in"...we are instantly unworthy and undeserving.  Only when we recognize that we are completely unworthy, only when we see clearly that we are absolutely undeserving...only then can we approach the Table in a worthy manner.

After the service, as I was speaking to people as they left, a young woman has hanging back a bit, obviously waiting until the crowds had passed.  She stepped up to me with tears in her eyes, took both of my hands and told me, "I had not taken communion for over a year because I have never felt worthy.  I even planned at the beginning of the service to sneak out during the prayer after the sermon.  But, you spoke to me today.  Today, finally, I understood and I received communion.  Thank you, Pastor, thank you so much." 

A whole year??  Can you imagine feeling so completely cut-off from God?  So worthless?  So unacceptable?  In recognizing her unworthiness, she was able to come to the Table of the One who had paid the price for her sins, the One who wants more than anything else to reconcile us to God.

I, for one, am so glad that we are part of the Wesleyan tradition...a tradition in which we recognize that the Lord's Table really is the LORD'S Table--not mine, not the church's...the Lord's.  I don't have to protect, guard it or anything...it's not mine.  My task is to provide the bread and cup...remind those present of what it is we are doing and why (remembering the Lord's death until He comes)...and to serve it to all who come to receive.  I know...I know...I have a lot of good friends from other traditions and denominations that have various..."ideas"...about how it ought to be done--only certain people, only people of a particular age,...some even go so far as to say only people of a particular denomination or only the local church.  However, in all honesty, I can find no where in Scripture where there is any regulation or limitation more than this--"in an unworthy manner."  Would the same Jesus who rebuked his disciples for keeping away the children really keep those children from the food of His Table?  Would the one who shared His bread with the very one who would betray Him really say to any other sinner, "Stay away!"?? 

One young lady went away rejoicing on Sunday...because she was welcomed home after a long time away, because she realized that above everything else, the Lord hopes to see in us a humility that recognizes our need for God and our reliance on Him.  How did the psalmist put it?  A broken and contrite heart?

I hope you had a blessed day of rest and worship this weekend.  Take care...and may you know God's blessings each day!

~Jon~

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jon, An excellent, thoughtful post. In May, Mary Kay and I witnessed the wedding of one of my students to another student at Methodist University Ghana. It upset me deeply that as part of the service, the pastor made it clear that only members of his parish were welcome to be served communion. Therefore, he served the bride, but only tapped the groom on the head. Not the way I would choose to start a christian marriage! Charlie Jackson