Tuesday, June 15, 2010

A Great Semester...of High School!! (from May 2010)

Well, the semester of teaching at the high school comes to a close.  It was a hard semester in many ways...mainly because I over-extended myself.  I guess those human tendencies of ours don't disappear when we move to another country, another culture.  However, in spite of difficulties, I must say..."WOW...what a semester!"
I had 80 students...all high-school juniors.  And, they were incredible for the most part.  These kids are in the "bi-cultural" program, so that means that they are all functioning in English in my class...and none of them are native speakers! 
So, I taught them English--mainly working on their writing and spoken communication skills.  But, there was a whole lot more than English going on!  As I shared with them, talked with them and listened to them, several of them opened up their lives to me.  Several of the young ladies are voracious readers--something VERY uncommon in this culture.  In fact, so uncommon that their parents ridicule them for reading too much.  One of the girls has to hide her books so that her parents won't take them from her.  Can you imagine such a thing??  This group of readers--who informed me one day that they are now my "adopted daughters"--have become good friends with my Jesse and Megan...and have gone out with them, and aven to the church youth group.  Wow!
Then there is young man whose parents are very successful...but never home, never around.  He came to "hang" with me between all his classes...a lonely fellow in need of a friend.  This young man is a kind and gentle fellow...not fitting in with all the "macho" guys who are sports nuts.  So, we are now friends.  I listen to him and hear the cry in his voice for affirmation, for acceptance, for friendship.  I'm happy to be that friend and to encourage him day by day....
By the end of the semester, I was ready for the end...but I couldn't have guess how it would end!  I gave three final exams for the three classes, and at the end of each exam, almost all of the students came to me...turned in their exam...and hugged me and thanked me for being a wonderful teacher!!  Can you imagine???  These 17- and 18-year old young men and young women...hugging their teacher??  WOW!!  I have to say it again!!  WOW!!  And, a couple of the guys...the GUYS..were teary-eyed to say good-bye. 
I guess we never know what happens behind the doors of homes, or away from where the world sees.  It seems to be that there is a huge need for people to be loved and accepted for who they are.  Too often people want to "fix" everyone around (a tendency we all have, I think...), but what I've learned again this semester is that often people simply need to be accepted, befriended and loved.  I have to say "Thank you" to my high school students for sharing their lives and making this aspect of life here in Mexico another extension of ministry.  Until next semester!!

Jon's Second Hour group...

Jon's Third Hour group....

Jon's Fifth Hour group...

No comments: