Saturday, March 14, 2009

The Parable of the Talents...a New Understanding

Two things the Lord has brought to my mind this week...again and again, and, I simply want to share them with you. However, I’ll just recount one at a time...so you don’t have too long of a read!!

The first is the parable of the talents (Matthew 25)--you remember that one? A ruler was going on a journey so he called three of his trusted servants and gave one five talents, the second two and the last one (some trans. say 5,000, 3,000 and 1000 gold coins--either way, a LOT of money). And he left. When he returned, the servants were called before him to give an account of what they had done. The first had doubled his return, as had the second. However, the third had buried his money...because he was afraid of the master. Now, the ruler got really angry about what this third fellow did...and took all of his money away from him, giving it to the others. Often we preach and teach this parable with the understanding that this third fellow was supposed to have done something with the money...and, therefore, he was simply unfaithful. But, I’ve been thinking about that situation...and I think it is that--and more. I have wondered what the ruler would have done if the fellow had invested, or tried something, and LOST the money. What would have happened if he had tried to set up a business...and it failed! I really believe that the ruler would have been less angry...perhaps even understanding--for anything is better than “burying” the money! If I’m right (and I am at times...just ask my family), this parable is not only about being faithful, but also about taking risks. In fact, the whole reason for burying the money is that the fellow was not willing to take any risks.

 What risks are we avoiding? What risks are we afraid to take? I imagine that if fellow no.3 were walking with us today, from his own experience, he would tell us, “Go ahead...take the risk!”

In the last few weeks I guess I’ve been wrestling with this theme...needing to make some decisions that are risky, needing to take that leap...not sure of where I’ll land. The Lord seems to be saying, “Jon, go for it! Don’t just sit on your hands--try it, do something, take the risk.” After all, don’t we have the promise that He is with us always...even if we fail?? Wouldn’t the Lord want us to try something rather than just sit around doing nothing?? I think I’ll take the risk....

No comments: