Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Wise as Serpents...Innocent as Doves

In a technical sense, I am a missionary. I am one of those set aside by the Church and commissioned to serve outside the immediate community of my local church, in a cross-cultural setting. I know this. However, I almost NEVER introduce myself as a missionary. Why is that?
In October this past year, I had the wonderful honor and opportunity of attending an international conference that our sending-agency held in Prague, Czech Republic. I boarded the plane here in Monterrey for the first jump to Atlanta, GA. The plane was almost full, and I was seated in the last row...with a woman from Monterrey. She was probably in her mid-to-late 40's. We exchanged greetings...and began to chat. She, I learned, was on her way to Italy for the vacation of a life-time, was going to meet her boyfriend there for a two-week stay at a luxury villa. We talked about Monterrey...the changes she has seen...the education system...our families...and a bunch of other things.
At the beginning of the conversation, when she asked, I introduced myself as "a professor." After all, that is what I DO...I'm a missionary serving as a professor at the John Wesley Seminary. Throughout the conversation that happily (for me) filled the 2-hour flight to Atlanta, I gradually revealed my connection to the Church...and some more aspects of our work and ministry.
As we touched down in Atlanta and were standing to gather our stuff, she turned to me and asked, "So...are you like a pastor or something???"
I responded, "Yes, I'm a Methodist minister teaching at the seminary."
If I could have captured the look on her face! She said, "I can't believe I talked with an evangelical pastor all the way from Monterrey to Atlanta!!" She then turned to the fellow who had been seated in front of us and said to him, "I can't believe it--I talked to a pastor all the way!!!"
If I had sat down from the beginning and introduced myself as a pastor and missionary, I am certain that it would have been a very quiet and uneventful flight from MTY to ATL.
Of course, I'm not "ashamed" of who I am or what I do--far from it. I love what I do. However, I also know how people react to what I do. For me, it is much more important that I keep doors of communication open. Announcing my religious vocation tends not to be a great door opener!!
As a minister and pastor, I have no problem introducing myself as an educator, community development worker, or leadership consultant. These all fall under what I do as a pastor/minister/missionary...and most important of all, in our culture here that generally holds Protestant/evangelicals in suspicion and at arms-length, presenting myself in one of these innocuous roles keeps the doors of communication wide-open so that relationships can develop...and discipleship can begin.
This way of living, I believe, is what Jesus meant when he said we are to "be wise as serpents and innocent as doves (Mat.10:16). I hope that the lady on the flight to Atlanta is still telling that story, of how she talked for almost two hours with some "evangelical pastor." Our gentle, non-confrontational interaction just may have laid the groundwork for someone else, for another passionate Christian to come along and now find an open door to evangelicals in her life.
"I am sending you out as sheep among wolves; therefore, be as wise as serpents and as gentle as doves" Matthew 10:16

1 comment:

Juan said...

Great story, Jon. Love her question... are you a pastor or SOMETHING? Too funny. I enjoy your newsletters and pray for y'all often! Dios te bendiga!