Thursday, December 9, 2010

Cost of an Education


Miguel came to me about two weeks ago.  He was stressed, and I was afraid he was coming to tell me that he was leaving the seminary.  Instead, he told me his story.  Miguel is 19-years-old.  His mom is a teacher and he has several brothers and sisters.  He came to explain why he had not turned in the last four assignments in my Ethics class.  After classes at the seminary, he told me, he goes straight to work.  He manages six or seven candy and snack stands on some of the major roads in the city.  He leaves seminary and begins making rounds to each one, replenishing their supply of candies, sweet rolls, magazines.  Not for just a couple of hours, mind you--for the next six to eight hours, long into the night.  He shared with me that his mom just doesn't make enough as a teacher to pay all the bills of the house and schooling and personal needs, so he has to help to keep the family together and "in the black."  However, he was stopping by to tell me that his seminary education was so important that he was giving up some of his work,  that he had discussed it with his family and they were going to cut back on expenses still more so that he could get all his seminary work done.


I was walking out of the office recently and Esteban was sitting in the foyer of the seminary doing something I never imagined of him.  Esteban, on first glance, might be the type of fellow you wouldn't want to meet in a dark alley--day or night!  But, then he smiles, and the peace and love of God just radiates from his face.  He's not the best student, but he is a tenacious and determined student, sure of his call, and set on reaching the world with the Good News of Jesus Christ.  So, what was this fellow doing?  He was sitting among several balls of yarn...knitting!  In my utter surprise, I exclaimed, "Esteban--what are you doing??  Are you knitting??"  He looked up, smiled that beautiful, disarming smile, and replied, "Well, I'm making scarves to sell."  And I returned, "What?  Why?"  Esteban explained, "Well, if I want to stay in seminary, if I want to pay the bills, I have to do something!"


Miguel and Esteban...just two of our 50+ students, doing whatever it is they have to do to get a seminary education, to get the training they want and need so they can serve their Lord in the most effective way they can.

The seminary program for dorm students costs about $250/month...and includes all course work, room and board.  Non-resident students pay about $120/month.

No comments: